Posted: 11/4/2014


My first ever visit to Sincil Bank Stadium, and to the histotic city of Lincoln. WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING ALL THESE YEARS !!!

Arriving by train at Lincoln Central there are lots of things to see and experience. I turned left and crossed the narrow River Witham to the new trendy tourist area at Brayford Pool.It's a natural lake once used as an inland port by the Romans. Then back along the river to The High Bridge and up High Street. Through the arch of The Stonebrow and Guildhall and up STEEP HILL and its independent cafes, second hand book shops and more, to The Cathedral. and WOW, what a steep climb

On the left is Lincoln Castle, built by William the Conqueror in the 11th Century and home to one of 4 surviving copies of MAGNA CARTA, and to the right Lincoln Cathedral, once the world's tallest building and one of the world's finest Gothic buildings.

I walked back down High Street past the station to the stadium which is worthy of Championship Football, with two huge all seater stands and two smaller end stands, one with a welcoming Travis Perkins Suite long bar for home and visiting fans alike.

Last Saturday at Forest Green the Imps had been 3-0 up and finished with a 3-3 tie and manager Gary Simpson was sacked. In charge for this match was Chris Moyses, who is a club director. Lowly Altrincham in 20th place suffered a shock 1-0 home defeat to even lower Alfreton. It was 26 years ago that the two teams last met here at The Bank....5-0 to the Imps.

For most of the first half it was a time to forget, as if both sides were saving their strength for Saturday away matches at Chelsea or Man City !!! THEN A GOAL...AND WHAT A GOAL... in the 44th minute out of the blue(or rather the yellow as Alty's change strip... Simon Richman from Damian Reeves and an elegantly placed graceful shot from 20 plus yards out beat goalie Paul Farman. THAT silenced the big drum and boisterous fans in the far corner Co-Op stand.

1-0 at the half and the home fans were booing as the temperature fell and a frosty air chilled us all. Would there be a fight back after the break? WELL... not to start with. After 51 minutes top striker Damian Reeves, who is married to a Lincoln lass..doubled the score with a header. the Imps were stung and angry and 14 minutes later Conner Robinson reduced the arrears and it was GAME ON !!

You could see the players' breath puff like dragons fire and it was end to end football for 25 minutes but Lee Sinnott's Alty survived, and their 44 loyal fans in a Tuesday night crowd of 2,000, went home on the supporters bus very happy. Less than a mile away up on the hill the floodlit cathedral was a majestic sight as we left this awesome city.